After this current pandemic, many people are finding themselves in one of three situations;
- You have concerns about returning to your previous gym due to fear of safety and cleanliness.
- You haven’t been exercising and this pandemic has shown you how important it is to make your health and fitness a priority.
- You had to take a break from your previous gym and come to think of it, you weren’t all that happy there or with the results.
I’ve owned or worked in gyms/training facilities since 2004. Big gyms, little gyms, professional training facilities, I’ve worked in them all. There’s a lot out there and it can be overwhelming when trying to find the right fit. I’m going to do my best to explain some of the options, in hopes that it will help you find the right gym for you and to make your return a safe and positive one.
Don’t worry, this isn’t going to be me telling you why One Life is the best and everyone should come here. We’re not for everyone, nor can we have everyone.
Here are 3 types of gym options/memberships;
- Big Gym Chains or “Globo Gyms”–
Think LA Fitness, Planet Fitness, Gold’s Gym, or similar. These gyms have low ($10-40/mon) “access” fees. They usually involve a lengthy contract and very little help once you join. There are endless rows of cardio equipment and plenty of weights and machines. Some of these gyms may include large group classes of 20+ members. If you’re looking for low cost, little instruction, and a “place to do your own thing” this may be a good fit for you. This style gym is usually best suited for a very motivated and experienced gym-goer who doesn’t require much oversight, help, or accountability.
- “Boot Camps or High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)”–
Here is where gyms like Orange Theory, F45, and Fit Body Boot Camp land. These gyms will have a higher price point than Globo Gyms ($99-229/mon) and almost always have an initial offer of 2-4 weeks free, to help get you in the door.
The biggest complaint I hear from people that leave these kinds of places is the classes are too big or there is not enough individual attention towards the member’s needs and goals. Getting started at these facilities is a relatively simple process and you can jump right into classes immediately without any prerequisite training for safety and technique.
These kinds of gyms are super popular, have great marketing, and do a good job of motivating people to make a change.
- The “Wellness” Center- These gyms are focused on coaching and accountability. There is a growing trend in fitness to collaborate with other health and fitness professionals in an effort to offer more to their clientele. At facilities like these, you may see personal trainers, physical therapists, nutrition coaches, fitness coaches, and others all working together as a team, to best meet the client’s needs.
At these facilities (like ours), everything usually starts with a 1-on-1 conversation (we call it our “FREE INTRO“.) We need to start here first to learn the client’s needs and goals but also to see if we’re a good fit. From there, we recommend options for the best way to reach their goals. This may include one on one personal training, individualized nutrition coaching and/or some group classes. Each person’s prescription is different.
If injuries are a concern, or the client is recovering from surgery, we may start with physical therapy or specific training to help recovery. Or, we may have to refer elsewhere.
The benefit of a set up like this is that it allows the client to work with a team of professionals to best meet the needs of the individual client.
Facilities like these would likely have monthly rates starting at approximately $150 and going up to $1000+ if they include personal training, nutrition, or other high-level coaching and accountability.
Depending on the individual and what they’re looking for, the Globo gym, the boot camp, and the wellness center can all be beneficial.
We’re currently open for 1-on-1 personal training and will be resuming small group classes shortly. If you’re interested in getting started with us, we’d love to talk! Book a Free Intro Phone Call HERE.
Team One Life.