Building lean muscle is a great way to improve your strength, look great, and feel great. It’s also a great way to boost your metabolism and burn fat.
Here are 5 tips to help you build lean muscle.
1. Eat A Lot of Protein. Protein is essential for muscle building. It’s the building block of muscle, so you need to make sure you’re getting enough in your diet. Aim for 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight each day. You can get your protein from lean sources like chicken, beef, fish, eggs, or a whey protein supplement. 1 ounce of meat and 1 whole egg is about 7 grams of protein.
2. Lift Weights. In order to build lean muscle, you need to lift weights. Your focus should be on compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, carries, rows, and presses to get the most out of your workouts since these exercises use the most muscle groups.
3. Do CrossFit Style Workouts. CrossFit workouts are a great way to boost your metabolism and burn fat while you’re building lean muscle. CrossFit workouts combine cardio, weightlifting, and bodyweight movements and this type of training has been shown to be more effective than steady-state cardio for fat loss.
4. Get Adequate Sleep. Sleep is essential for muscle growth and recovery. Make sure you’re getting at least 6 hours of sleep each night. If you’re having trouble sleeping, try to establish a consistent sleep routine and avoid caffeine and electronics before bed. I have a strict 1pm cutoff for caffeine and coffee personally.
5. Stay Hydrated. Staying hydrated is important for muscle growth and performance. Aim for at least 2-3 liters of water per day. You can also add electrolytes to your water to help with hydration.
These are just a few tips for building lean muscle. With a combination of proper nutrition, weight training, CrossFit style workouts, and adequate sleep and hydration, you’ll be on your way to reaching your goals.
Want to chat with a coach? Click here to schedule a free no sweat intro consultation.