The strict press is an effective compound exercise that primarily targets your shoulders and triceps. By standing with a barbell or dumbbells and pressing the weight overhead while engaging your core, you can develop strong and powerful shoulders.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to perform a strict press:
1. Begin by standing with your feet shoulder-width apart. Hold the barbell or dumbbells at shoulder level, resting on the front of your shoulders. Make sure your elbows are pointing forward and your wrists are in line with your forearms.
2. Engage your core muscles to stabilize your body. This will help maintain proper form and prevent unnecessary strain on your lower back.
3. Press the weight overhead by extending your arms upward. Keep your elbows in close to your body throughout the movement. Focus on pushing the weight directly overhead, without leaning forward or arching your back excessively.
4. Once you’ve reached the top position with your arms fully extended, pause briefly to maintain control and engage your shoulder muscles.
5. Lower the weight back down to the starting position by bending your elbows and bringing the weight back to your shoulders. Maintain a controlled and steady descent.
Apart from building upper body strength and power, strict presses offer additional benefits. They can improve your posture and help develop better balance. Furthermore, they enhance your ability to perform overhead movements, such as throwing or lifting objects above your head.
If you’re new to the strict press or unsure about your technique, it’s a good idea to seek guidance from a personal trainer near you. They can assist you in mastering the exercise and ensure you’re performing it correctly.
By following these steps and focusing on maintaining proper form, you’ll be on your way to building strong and resilient shoulders. Embrace the strict press as a valuable addition to your workout routine and unlock the potential of your upper body strength!